Stan Brown wrote:

> Herman Rubin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in sci.stat.edu:
> >Test for understanding, not for imitation of robots.  Give
> >a few multi-part problems, and be sure to give partial credit.
>
> Excellent advice. I do (try to) test for understanding, by posing
> problems in real-world terms and seeing if the students know which
> test or calculation to do in which circumstances. Calculators are
> allowed for all work. And yes, I give partial credit where it's
> warranted. On the other hand, I don't give credit where work is not
> shown. In my view, the "right" answer is worthless if you can't
> justify it.

If there is a 'right' answer how do you justify not giving  full credit
for a 'right;' answer?
For partial answers of course you need to see the work however if  the
answer is corret then unless you suspect cheating I cannot see how you
cannot give full marks.  This assumes there is an objective numerical or
verbal result.

--
John Kane