This has nothing to do with normal distributions, as Robert Dawson noted
yesterday.  The article I cited makes no mention of normal distributions,
and I didn't mean to imply that it did.

Rich Strauss

At 04:29 AM 11/29/01 +0000, Jerry Dallal wrote:
>Rich Strauss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>:>If the trend continues nationwide, this newspaper could someday report
>:>that an apparently alarming cluster of cancer cases has arisen in an
>:>innocuous normal distribution, and students will be able to explain to
>:>their parents what that means.
>
>: The reporting of cancer clusters already happens on a regular basis,
>: including in the NYTimes.  An excellent article on "The Cancer-Cluster
>: Myth" by Atul Gawande was published in The New Yorker, 8 Feb 99.  It was
>: reprinted in "The Best American Science and Nature Writing" last year
>: (2000, Houghton Mifflin).
>
>I'd be happy if *anyone* could explain to me what "an apparently
>alarming cluster of cancer cases has arisen in an innocuous normal
>distribution" means!  I *think* there's an unfortunate use of the word
>"normal" here, but I can't be sure.

Richard E. Strauss              (806) 742-2719
Biological Sciences             (806) 742-2963 Fax
Texas Tech University           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Lubbock, TX  79409-3131
http://www.biol.ttu.edu/Faculty/FacPages/Strauss/Strauss.html