At 12:59 PM 10/12/01 -0300, you wrote:

>While consulting people from depts of statistics about this, a few of them
>were arguing that these assumption testing are just a "legend" and that
>there is no problem in not respecting them !

note: you should NOT respect any stat expert who says that there is no
problem ... and not to worry about the so called "classic" assumptions

all they are doing is making their consultation with you EASIER for them!

every test you might want to do has 1 or more assumptions about either how
samples were taken and/or parameters (and other things) about the population

in some cases, violations of one or more of these make little difference in
the "validity" of the tests (simulation studies can verify this) ... but,
in other cases, violations of one or more can lead to serious consequences
(ie, yielding a much larger type I error rate for example that you thought
you were working with) ...

there is no easy way to make some blanket statement as to what assumptions
are important and which are not because ... this depends on a specific test
(or family of similar tests)

usually, for a particular test ... "good" texts will enumerate the
assumptions that are made AND, will give you some mini capsule of the
impact of violations TO those assumptions

dennis roberts, educational psychology, penn state university
208 cedar, AC 8148632401, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm