At 06:13 PM 12/1/01 -0500, Stan Brown wrote:
>Jon Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in sci.stat.edu:
> >
> >Stan Brown wrote:
> >
> >> I would respectfully suggest that the OP _first_ carefully study the
> >> textbook sections that correspond to the missed lectures, get notes from
> >> a classmate
> >
> >This part is of doubtful usefulness.
>
>Doubtful? It is "of doubtful usefulness" to get notes from a
>classmate and study the covered section of the textbook? Huh?

perhaps doubtful IF the students OP asked to look at were terrible students
who took terrible notes ... and/or ... OP when reading the text could not
make anything of it ...

but, those are two big ifs

usually, students won't ask to see the notes of students whom they know are
"not too swift" ... and, also ... usually students who read the book do get
something out of it ... maybe not enough

the issue here is ... it appeared (though we have no proof of this) that
the original poster did little, if anything, on his/her own ... prior to
posting a HELP to the list

stan seemed to be reacting to that assumption and, i don't blame him

>--
>Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Cortland County, New York, USA
>                                   http://oakroadsystems.com/
>"My theory was a perfectly good one. The facts were misleading."
>                                    -- /The Lady Vanishes/ (1938)

>Instructions for joining and leaving this list and remarks about
>the problem of INAPPROPRIATE MESSAGES are available at
>                   http://jse.stat.ncsu.edu/

dennis roberts, penn state university
educational psychology, 8148632401
http://roberts.ed.psu.edu/users/droberts/drober~1.htm