--------------E98CFE9DA7C53331DB22D947

Is it a fair interpretation of what you are saying to say  that the
process of correlating phenomena needs to be distinguished from the
value of some form of correlation coefficient?  I certainly agree with
that.
- - -
The observation that a correlation exists is one point in an inductive
argument about causation.  The entire argument shows causation.  If we
cannot show some form of correlation an important element of a casual
inference is missing.  Of course, the mere existence of a correlation,
by itself, does not constitute a complete complete argument about
causation.

Related to this, I don't put a lot of faith in any single study, but
find plausability in a range of studies about a phenomenon.
- - -
Where do you put dose-response curves in your epistemology? How do you
deal with statements like:
Larger speed differences resulted in larger doppler shifts.
More ionizing radiation resulted in more deaths.
More time spent memorizing vocabulary words resulted in more words
recalled a week later.
More stress increased performance up to a point and then increased
stress lowered performance.
More exposure to a treatment results in a higher probability of
recovery.
- - -
Usually I think of X in the manipulated range as causal of Y _in a
population_. Often we cannot get to a deterministic cause, but to
stochastic or probabilistic causation. BY ITSELF, the demonstration that
people who smoked more were more likely to get cancer was insufficient
for some researchers.  However, after DNA was discovered and better
understood, and the mechanism induced in vitro and in vivo, even the
Tobacco Institute has recognized the causation.

begin:vcard
n:Kendall;Art
tel;work:301-864-5570
x-mozilla-html:FALSE