But then you should use a binomial (or hypergeometric) distribution.

Jon Cryer

p.s. Of course, you might approximate by an appropriate normal distribution.

At 11:39 AM 12/10/01 -0400, you wrote:
Dennis Roberts wrote:

> this is pure speculation ... i have yet to hear of any convincing case
> where the variance is known but, the mean is not

What about that other application used so prominently in texts of
business statistics, testing for a proportion?

Jon Cryer, Professor Emeritus
Dept. of Statistics     www.stat.uiowa.edu/~jcryer
 and Actuarial Science   office 319-335-0819
The University of Iowa     home   319-351-4639
Iowa City, IA 52242        FAX    319-335-3017

"It ain't so much the things we don't know that get us into trouble.
It's the things we do know that just ain't so." --Artemus Ward