Hi

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Benjamin Kenward wrote:
> Let's say you have a repeatable experiment and each time the result can be
> classed into a number of discrete categories (in this real case, seven).
> If a treatment has no effect, it is known what the expected by chance
> distribution of results between these categories would be. I know that a
> good test to see if a distribution of results from a particular treatment
> is different to the expected by chance distribution is to use a
> chi-squared test. What I want to know is, is it valid to compare just one
> category? In other words, for both the obtained and expected
> distributions, summarise them to two categories, one of which is the
> category you are interested in, and the other containing all the other
> categories. If the chi-square result of the comparison of these categories
> is significant, can you say that your treatment produces significantly
> more results in particularly that category, or can you only think of the
> whole distribution?

Yes, this is equivalent to planned contrasts (assuming it was
planned) in ANOVA.  In ANOVA with the critical condition as the
last one, the contrast would be -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 +6 (or some
variation on that, e.g., normalized coefficients).  I remember
long ago in an epidemiology class learning how to partition
chi^2, but I do not remember off hand whether the contrast ends
up being equivalent to collapsing groups 1-6 and doing the
2-group chi^2, or whether there was a way to partition a SS for
the numerator and use a common denominator from the 7-group chi^2
for the test of contrasts.  The following link suggests that the
two are not the same.

http://www.sas.com/service/techsup/faq/stat_proc/freqproc919.html

Best wishes
Jim

James M. Clark                          (204) 786-9757
Department of Psychology                (204) 774-4134 Fax
University of Winnipeg                  4L05D
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3B 2E9             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CANADA                                  http://www.uwinnipeg.ca/~clark