Donald Burrill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: "The story is about six students who ...   The instructor ... tells them

: "The one question was, "Which tire?"  I remember that the likelihood of
: all four pickng the same tire was quite small, but I forgot how to
: calculate it explicitly."

: Assuming an ordinary vehicle with 4 tires, and that the students'

No, that's the prob that they all select a given tire.  It's (1/4)^5

In general (1/t)^(s-1)