I am working with a large administrative data (N=1,086) set for a foster care agency. In short, I am comparing client outcomes across two branches (each is delivering a different service model). For analyses, I am using logistic regression (SPSS) where my dependent variables include a variety of outcomes measuring program success vs. failure. My test variable is the program (two groups), plus I have several other demographic and service related variables.

My problem is that I have two types of "clusters" of children in my data set:
  • siblings from the same biological family (may or may not be placed in the same foster home)
  • foster children placed in one foster home (may or may not be siblings)
I  am looking for ways to test the amount of error associated with the above clusters using SPSS. My strategy to date has been to SELECT the restricted sample, run the LR analysis, then eyeball the results. What are my other options?

Many thanks.

Yvonne A. Unrau, PhD
Associate Professor
School of Social Work