On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 23:06:25 GMT, janne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Lets say I do a x2(chi) test and have the hypothesis:

[snip, some example]

> If you can have < in hypothesis, then when is it < and when is it > I
> should use? How do I know which one to use?
>
> I also wonder about t-tests the same question. When do I know if I
> should use < or >?

Are you referring to the chisquared test on a contingency table?
That is the most popular thing called  'chi-squared test'  but it is
far from the only thing.

Almost always (but not always), chisquared is used to 'reject'
when the chisquared value is large.  Now, if your H0  and Ha
require "less than,"  that is a pretty good indicator that you
should *not*  be using the contingency table; but you might
be using a 'test for proportions'  that gives you  the square
root of a 1-d.f.  chi-squared, which is a normal-deviate z:  which
has either a plus or minus sign attached.  But you *can* use
the chisquared test, and make sure the differences are in
the right direction.

Short answer:  Look at the numbers, and use your head.
There is not a magical formula that makes a stupid-looking
answer come out to be correct.

If this still seems confusing, borrow a book or two on
experimental design and spend time on the earliest chapters.

--
Rich Ulrich, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.pitt.edu/~wpilib/index.html