Rich Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

Thanks Rich, most informative, I am trying to determine a method of
comparing apples to oranges - it seems an improtant thing to try to
do, perhaps it is impossible .

I am trying to
determine which is better, glycemic index or carbohydrate total in
predicting glycemic load (Glycemic load=glycemic index*carbohydrate).

my results as a matrix:

GI load  GI      Carb
GI load  1.000
GI       .533    1.000
Carb     .858    .124    1.000

So it seems that carb affects GI load more than does GI.. but this is
on ALL foods.. (nobody eats ALL foods so cannot extrapolate to human
diet) but I don't think you're allowed to do this kind of comparison
as Carb and GI aretotal different values:

I suspected that you would be allowed to make the comparisons if you
use Betas, ie. measure how many standard deviation
changes of GI and  Carb it requires..  If it takes a bigger standard
deviation of Carb then you could say that it is more likely that carb
has a bigger effect on glycemic load.

you seem to suggest that even using standard deviation changes, you
cannot compare  apples to oranges.  Which sounds right but is
dissapointing..