here is one VERY simple example

the COV is the AVERAGE of the PRODUCTS of the deviations around the means
... of two variables

if the cov is + .. there is a + relationship between X and Y, if it is -,
there is a - relationsip between X and Y

X      Y       devX      devY     (devX)(devY)
10   20         1            -2               - 2
9     24         0             2                 0
8     22         -1            0                 0

the sum of the products of the deviations around the two means is -2 ....
the average is -2 / 3 = -.67 = the covariance

now, some books will divide by n-1 or 2 in this case ... which would = -2/2
= -1 for the covariance

here is the minitab output ... note, mtb and most software packages will
divide by n-1

  Y       -                              *
          -
          -
      22.5+
          -     *
          -
          -
          -
      20.0+                                                       *
          -
            ----+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+--X
             8.00      8.40      8.80      9.20      9.60     10.00

MTB > prin c1-c5

Data Display

  Row      X      Y   devX   devY  product

    1     10     20      1     -2       -2
    2      9     24      0      2        0
    3      8     22     -1      0        0

MTB > sum c5

Sum of product

    Sum of product = -2.0000
MTB > cova c1 c2

Covariances: X, Y

                 X        Y
X         1.00000
Y        -1.00000  4.00000

MTB > NOTE ... THE INTERSECTION OF THE X AND Y OUTPUT ABOVE ... -1 ... IS
THE COVARIANCE IN THIS PROBLEM

by the way, the CORRELATION is

MTB > corr c1 c2

Correlations: X, Y