"Alan Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<K1Fa8.25709$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> The fastest way to generate random normals and exponentials is to use George
> Marsaglia's ziggurat algorithm.

I've seen both ziggurat and Monty Python approaches claimed as being
"about the fastest" or "close to the fastest" among reasonably general
algorithms (not restricted to a single distribution), and they are
both nice and easy to understand and reasonably easy to code.

But in the case of gaussian distributions, which is faster?

I don't yet have the CACM article on the Monty Python for the gaussian
case, presumably it has some timing information. But maybe I don't
even need to look if the ziggurat approach is faster. I haven't seen
anything which directly discusses how they compare.

Glen