Linda wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>I want to generate a series of random variables, X with exponential
>PDF with a given mean,MU value. However, I only want X to be in some
>specified lower and upper limit?? Say between 0 -> 150 i.e. rejected
>anything outside this range Does anyone have any ideas how should I do
>that??
>
>Regards,
>Linda

Is MU the mean before truncation? - or afterwards?
The ziggurat algorithm seems to be the fastest for generating
exponentially-distributed RV's.
You can then simply scale them, by multiplying by the mean BEFORE
truncation, and then throw away any which exceed the upper bound.

--
Alan Miller (Honorary Research Fellow, CSIRO Mathematical
& Information Sciences)