"Rich Ulrich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:30:19 -0000, "Chia C Chong"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > "Vadim and Oxana Marmer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > You can start with checking if they are correlated. It's simpler to
do. If
> > > you find that they are correlated then you have the answer to your
> > > question.
> > > If you find that they are uncorrelated and you have a reason to
believe
> > > that they may be not independent anyway then you can look for more
> > > advanced tests.
> >
> > Can you give some examples of more advanced tests that can be used to
test
> > the depedency of data when there these data are uncorrelated??
>
> You can check for an obvious non-linear (say quadratic) fit.
>
> WHAT  is your 'reason to believe that they may be
> not independent'?
> Anything that makes any pattern, at all, is 'dependent.'

I have an example of data of 2 RVs. When I tested the correlation between
them, by simply find the correlation coefficient, it shows that the
correlation coefficient is so small and therefore, I could say that these
two RVs are uncorrelated,or better still, not linearly correlated. However,
when I plotted the scatter plot of them, it is clearly shown that one of the
varriable does dependent on the other variable  in some kind of pattern, is
just that there are not lineraly dependent, hence the almost zero
correlation coeffiicent. So, I am just wonder whether any kind of tests that
I could use to test dependency between 2 varaibles...

CCC