Hi,

Thanks for your help! I went over these ideas and now understand my
problem better.

If I explain my simulation, it may help. Basically, I have a
simulation where various "agents" have to find a target. The
simulation is terminated once the target has been found. The current
measurement of performance is "iterations taken" - time. The
simulation settings are kept constant, aside from the starting
positions which are random. The simulation is repeated until the
confidence interval reaches a certain percentage [this statement may
be wrong once you read then next step!]

The simulation then changes a parameter (such as number of "agents")
and is then repeated to sample the new population. This is done quite
a few times.

What I really need to do, is to prove with a certain confidence, that
the MEAN time taken from Simulation A comes from a different
population than from Simulation B, C, D, E etc.

>From my undestating, this may imply that I need to concentrate on the
accuracy of the mean of simulation run wrt the real population mean
(unknown) and then compare this to other simulation runs with
different populations. Some suggestions have included doing a ANOVA
analysis. Comparing multi variances was also suggested, but this
apparenly can only be done with 2 populations.

On top of this, there is a big requirement on computational efficiency
- each simulation needs to stop when the results are accurate enough
for the next step. So is confidence in the mean the solution (and how
do I do that), or is it comparing various simulation runs together
(and using what method) or is it something else, or a combination.

Does this explain enough? If anyone requires any more info, just ask.
Sorry if this explanation or question sounds vague - I am just
starting to find my way around stats!!!!!

Many thanks!