On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 4:43 PM, kirby urner <kirby.ur...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

> What does the robot look like I wonder.  Open source?  API?  Yes, I
> should Google, but I'm trying to track a "Django in the real world"
> workshop at the moment.  Pycon.  Packed room.  They're showing the
> slide that scares me the most:  LiveJournal Backend: Today (roughly).
> LAMP isn't as easy as it sounds.
>
> Here're the slides we're looking at FYI:
> http://jacobian.org/speaking/2009/real-world-django/

This is orthogonal to everything:
I looked at those slides, and they hint at good practical tips and advice
for structuring your Django app.

Just this past weekend I was wondering where I could find such things, that
is, help at learning good ways to structure a python program (for generic
python, not specifically Django), written for the non-programmer
scientist/educator.  When I write my programs I always feel that certainly I
am attacking the problem in the least-elegant, least-extendable,
least-reusable, most-brute-force way possible.  It's easy to find beginners
manuals, but what's the best way to learn better programming techniques /
structures / etc?

Maybe the request is a bit off-topic, but it came up in reference to the
above, and besides, there are probably people here who understand the
question and can answer it!

Thanks,
gary