(Apologies if you've read this already. I posted it from my cell last week but I don't see it in the edu-sig forum archives.)

It is such a battle at both the High School and College levels of Math to try anything new. All the traditional Algebraic and Graphing Calculator techniques are so ingrained that it's nearly impossible to change anything from what is taught to how it is taught! This inertia is most evident from the resistance you see from other teachers, professors and administrators. Perhaps, I have only myself to blame, as I was one of the first adopters of Graphing Calculators in the 1990s in my schools and now I'm trying to get everyone to use python/SAGE on PCs instead.

So, imagine my surprise when said resistance came from my students this year! I have successfully incorporated python/SAGE into my CS curriculum without any such resistance. That change was easy as all we do in CS is code on PCs. We don't use Graphing Calculators very much in preCS or APCS anyeay. Well, this year, I had the bright idea of using python/SAGE in any Math class without a terminal exam, such as Regents and AP, involving Graphing Calculators. In NYS, kids need to work with Graphing Calculators all year in order to do well on Regents and AP exams in Math and Science. However, I have a preCalc class that doesn't answer to Regents or AP Exams. So, I tried to ween them off the GC but the kids are so used to using GCs as a crutch that it's been quite a slog through the mud!

BTW, if you're interested, here's a YouTube Playlist I just started recording from my preCS class using python/SAGE and the Litvin's Discrete Math text (http://skylit.com/mathandpython.html): http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLL956Pn2cKSgLHSxQLPO6YIQ8VlxLPNgc&feature=plcp

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
Applied Math, Physics and CS
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com