Is coding the same as writing script?
<https://www.quora.com/Is-coding-the-same-as-writing-script>
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Kirby-Urner>
Kirby Urner <https://www.quora.com/profile/Kirby-Urner>
·
1h ago
<https://www.quora.com/Is-coding-the-same-as-writing-script/answer/Kirby-Urner>
Founder at 4D Solutions

I’d say so. Coding is the same as scripting. Writing a program is writing a
script.

However “scripting” has had varying connotations over the years. People
spoke of Perl as a “scripting language” and the idea was a script was more
likely a one-off, a quick and dirty way to get something done in a hurry,
inhouse. Serious software built for the ages would not use a “scripting
language”.

That meaning morphed into “agile” as people (coders) realized that agile
dynamically typed high level languages were indeed suitable for production
code and frameworks. The Perl Mongers (Perl users) were encouraged to
rehabilitate “scripting language” as a term they could use with pride.
JavaScript, at first dismissed as just a mere toy inside the web browser
(then a novelty), became the king of the agiles.

I’d add that “coding” didn’t used to be as popular a synonym for
“programming” as it is today. People used to “learn to program” not “code”.

Guido van Rossum’s Computer Programming for Everybody (CP4E) initiative was
prescient in that coding may now be done in snippets, in the context of a
Jupyter Notebook say, by people who do not consider themselves professional
programmers.

Guido invented Python, another agile or “scripting language” similar to
Perl and later Ruby (Ruby owes more to Perl than Python I’d say).

In contrast to the high level agiles, we still have the “systems” languages
that run faster once written, but take a lot longer to write (C++ being the
standard example of a systems language).

These days, coders are bioengineers, medical doctors, statisticians. Coding
is about using one more tool. You don’t need a degree in computer science.

Again, as the culture keeps changing, so do the connotations of words, even
more so than the denotations.
View Upvoters
 · Answer requested by Melonie Tuttle
<https://www.quora.com/profile/Melonie-Tuttle-1>