An email to students, after Zoom class this evening:

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Sunshine Elite Education
Date: Sun, May 15, 2022 at 9:32 PM
Subject: Data Structure and Algorithms in Python: May 15: After class (re
Quicksort)
To: <kirby.ur...@gmail.com>

Thanks for joining me this evening.

The famous QuickSort, which I coded live, is here:

https://nbviewer.org/github/4dsolutions/elite_school/blob/master/ADS_sandbox_7.ipynb
(scroll down)

I was somewhat surprised I could get it working without notes.

Note:  if the goal really is super speed, then C/C++ is a better bet (I
showed C++ for Kids, a book). But Python, with its clear high level syntax,
is good for communicating the gist of the algorithm.

Python itself is written in C (often) so it's internal, native sorting
capabilities (e.g. part of L.sort and sorted(L)) are much faster than those
like the one I shared, written in Python. In a practical sense, you don't
really need to write a sort algorithm in Python as these are already
provided to you.

The source code for Python is out there, if you get curious about how it
sorts stuff internally. Check into how the list type is implemented -- that
would be where I'd poke around (I haven't yet). There should be a book out
there that's like a guide to Python's C internals.  Is there?  I don't know.

I did some overview of our evolving online textbook, which now has a TOC.
Feel free to explore any time, by way of review.  In the Graph Theory
sandbox, I've added more links to student work.

https://github.com/4dsolutions/elite_school/blob/master/ADS_TOC.ipynb

Kirby

*Course Name*: Data Structure and Algorithms in Python
*Datetime*: 01/29-06/19 Wednesday,Sunday 6:00pm-7:00pm
*Location*: Online10

Thanks,
Sunshine Elite Education