Hi,

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007, Reiner Schmid wrote:

> My wife (teacher) has the same problem with her terminalsystem at her
> classroom, which I had installed.
> The client gets a logon screen into which i put the details of a user
> that i know can logon through SSH. Client screen goes dark for approx 10
> seconds then comes back with the logon screen again.

Something similar happened to me at one time and I learnt how to debug ldm
then.

1. Go to the server and create an account in the thin client environment so
   you can login to thin clients directly:
        sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
        adduser <username>
        < ... follow the steps as prompted>

        - press <ctrl><alt><F1>
        - login with <username> and <password> from above

3. LDM, the display manager running on the thin client (which provides the
   usual login screen) logs to either /var/log/ldm.log or /tmp/ldm.log or
   something similar -- I can't quite recall.  Have a root around and see
   can you find it.  Then open it with "more"
        more /var/log/ldm.log
   and see if you can see what error is causing this.

The reason in my case was that I had changed the IP address of my ltsp
server and the ssh key on the client only had a key for the old IP address.
This meant that the thin client would not trust the server and each time it
attempted to login it would fail and bounce back to the login screen.  The
solution to that issue, as I recall, is to run:

        sudo /usr/sbin/ltsp-update-sshkeys

> The terminals worked fine for 4 months, but two days ago the same
> problem appeared.

Yours may be a different issue, but you could try the above, particularly
if there's any reason to believe the server's ip address might have
changed.  It shouldn't do any harm.

Gavin