> As for your comment about thinking this is an Xorg problem.  I sort of
> agree/disagree.
>
> I think it's a problem in the interface BETWEEN the Xserver and the
> Xclients.
>
> The Xserver needs to be able to refuse requests for pixmap allocation,
> and the Xclients need to pay attention to that refusal and gracefully
> handle it.   Right now, we are limiting pixmap allocation by setting
> X_RAMPERC.  the problem is, the Xclients die a horrible death when they
> don't get what they want from the Xserver.

Let me try and get a little better understanding here (forgive me if what I ask
doesn't
make sense).  It seems that if pixmap caching to system memory was restricted
specifically the applications would maybe still run upon refusal of a pixmap
cache
request, but have more of a delay in displaying the graphic when called on.
However the
X_RAMPERC option limits the application to use of RAM in general and when it
hits the
limit it then dies a horrible death.  So if there was some method to split
these two
apart things may behave in a more tolerable fashion?  Would Firefox still then
be free
to hog as much RAM and SWAP as it could get it's grubby hands on for basic
operation but
then be told by some new option to back off on the caching of pixmaps, or are
the two
inseparable?  It seems that most every scenario where the clients are freezing
in most
every application are due solely to excessive pixmap caching either by a single
app or a
combination of apps used simultaneously.

Is it conceivable that an option could be available in xorg.conf that limited
pixmap
caching to 32MB max (user configurable to increase/decrease as desired), or
maybe have
an option in lts.conf to pass this to X but still leave memory use unrestricted
for
everything but pixmaps? (lts.conf stuff would of course start with X having this
capability)  This may be the route I try to take when I start posting to the
xorg devel
list.  Of course they may very accurately respond telling me I'm crazy.

Another thing I played with today when monitoring pixmap cache from within
OpenOffice,
insert a handful of graphics into a Writer document, open xrestop to monitor
usage, then
scroll back and forth over the the graphics and watch pixmap cache climb.  I
was able to
insert 4 images into Writer and only consume 8MB of cache with pixmaps, but upon
repetitive scrolling and no other changes increase Writers pixmap cache to
155MB.
Something this stupid would be enough to freeze a client with 128MB RAM (silly
thing to
do but I am amazed everyday at the stupid things people do).  I find it odd
that Writer
doesn't just cache the image once and then draw from it, it keeps caching the
same info
over and over again....seems like just bad programming to me.  So if there was
a setting
to limit only pixmap caching we could still see a performance increase at
first, but
then if an application got greedy or just plain stupid, it would get cut off,
but still
be allow full use of RAM and SWAP to keep critical processes running.

Thoughts?