Please circulate this announcement in your lab

May 16th 2019, 17h00-18h30
Bordeaux Pellegrin Hospital, Rheumatology Service, 12th floor

Fridolin Gross (University of Kassel, Germany)

"Occam's Razor in Molecular and Systems Biology"

A PhilInBioMed seminar

Open to all

Occam’s Razor in Molecular and Systems Biology

Biologists have been debating for some time about what — if anything — is
conceptually novel about systems biology when compared to the ‘classical’
approach of molecular biology. In these debates scientists make use of
concepts, such as holism, reductionism, or emergence, that have a long
tradition in philosophy. Thus, philosophers might productively contribute to
the discussion by taking into account this tradition and by adopting an
impartial perspective with respect to the two competing positions. In my talk I
focus on one particular way in which the difference between molecular and
systems biology has been spelled out. Some systems biologists have argued that
molecular biology is misguided because it relies on an unjustified application
of the principle of Occam’s razor. Roughly speaking, Occam’s razor refers to
the idea that among competing explanations the simplest should be preferred.
However, a look at the history of philosophy shows that this principle ha
 s been understood and defended in very different ways. I analyze which version
of the principle is relevant in the present context and ask whether the
allegation stands up to scrutiny when looking at instances of actual research
in molecular biology. I defend molecular biology by arguing that its use of
Occam’s razor is largely innocuous and by showing that systems biology heavily
relies on considerations of simplicity as well.
 Fridolin Gross is a postdoctoral researcher who works on computational models
of the cell cycle at IFOM, Milan, and teaches philosophy at the University of
Kassel. During the month of May Fridolin Gross will be in Bordeaux as a
visiting scholar in the group of Thomas Pradeu. Those interested in exchanging
with him during his stay him can send an email to cont...@philinbiomed.org.

Best regards,

Wiebke Bretting

--
Dr. Wiebke Bretting
Project Manager ERC IDEM

--
Pour toute question, la FAQ de la liste se trouve ici:
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/

Répondre à