Université Grenoble Alpes
Laboratoire Philosophie, Pratiques & Langage (PPL)

Cher·e·s collègues,

Le séminaire international de PPL vous invite à sa prochaine séance qui se
tiendra le 2 mai de 10h30 à 12h00, en salle B1 du bâtiment ARSH : nous
aurons le plaisir d'accueillir Constantine Sandis, de l'Université de
Hertfordshire au Royaume-Uni, pour une intervention intitulée "Character
and Causation: Hume's Philosophy of Action". Vous en trouverez le résumé
ci-dessous.
Cette séance clôturera le séminaire pour l'année universitaire 2018-2019.

Bien cordialement,

Marlène Jouan pour l'organisation du séminaire.

*Character and Causation: Hume's Philosophy of Action*

Hume’s overall project proceeds by way of a conceptual revisionism that
emerges from his Copy Principle. This, I argue, involves re-calibrating our
philosophical reasonings to match the range of impressions that human
beings actually have. Having thus rid ourselves of a certain kind of
metaphysical ambition, we are left with perfectly adequate account of how
it is that people can act in character, freely, and for good reasons. The
resulting picture is one that unifies Hume's practical and theoretical
philosophy by situating his account of action and its explanation within a
wider understanding of our concepts of causation, free will,
historiography, morality, necessity, personal identity, and the self. Far
from being restricted to a few disappointing remarks on volitionism, Hume’s
philosophy of action thus emerges as *the* central topic of his work. In
his own words: ‘as nothing more nearly interests us than our own actions
and those of others, the greatest part of our reasonings is employ’d in
judgments concerning them' (T 405/2.3.1.15).

--
Pour toute question, la FAQ de la liste se trouve ici:
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/

Répondre à