**** CALL FOR PAPERS ****

*INQUIRY. AN INTERDISCIPLINARY JOURNAL OF PHILOSOPHY*

*Special Issue: “Foundational Issues in Conceptual Engineering”*

*Guest Editors. — *Manuel Gustavo Isaac (University of Barcelona) & Steffen
Koch (Ruhr University Bochum)

*Invited Contributors. — *Catarina Dutilh Novaes (Vrije Universiteit
Amsterdam), Édouard Machery (University of Pittsburgh), Amie Thomasson
(Dartmouth College)

*Special Issue Description*

This special issue (S.I.) is dedicated to one of contemporary’s hottest
topics in metaphilosophy — conceptual engineering. Conceptual engineering
is a method which aims at improving, rather than just describing, the
representational tools we use in theoretical or practical contexts. More
specifically, the S.I. aims to foster discussions about the theoretical
foundations of conceptual engineering. What kind of objects does conceptual
engineering operate on? What does it mean to ‘engineer’ them? And is the
popular metaphor of ‘engineering’ concepts even appropriate? Naturally, how
one answers these questions depends on one’s prior theoretical commitments.
The S.I. thus provides a platform for explicating crucial foundational
issues in conceptual engineering.

*Appropriate Topics for Submission*

The topic of the special issue is how the method of conceptual engineering
should generally be construed; in particular, we are less interested in
specific suggestions for how to ameliorate this or that concept. Viable
topics thus include, among others: What is the relevance of metasemantic
theorizing to conceptual engineering? How does conceptual engineering look
like from an internalist/externalist perspective? Does conceptual
engineering operate on an individual or a communal level? How are the two
connected? Does conceptual engineering operate on mental or linguistic
objects? Again, how are the two connected? How should we construe the goals
of conceptual engineers? What is a good method to achieve these goals? How
does conceptual engineering relate to other philosophical methods? Is
conceptual engineering even feasible?

Papers should be prepared for anonymous review, no longer than 8,000 words,
and submitted via https://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/inquiry.

The deadline is January 31, 2020.

For further information, please contact the guest editors:

*Manuel Gustavo Isaac*

University of Barcelona

Department of Philosophy

LOGOS Research Group

Carrer Montalegre 6-8

08001 Barcelona

Spain
isaac.manuelgust...@gmail.com

*Steffen Koch*

Ruhr University Bochum

Institut für Philosophie II

Universitätsstraße 150

44801 Bochum

Germany

steffen.k...@rub.de

--

*Manuel Gustavo ISAAC (BA, MA, PhD)*

*AGAUR BEATRIU DE PINOS FELLOW (AGAUR-BP2017)
<https://www.manuelgustavoisaac.xyz/>*
*LOGOS RESEARCH GROUP IN ANALYTIC PHILOSOPHY*
<http://www.ub.edu/grc_logos/manuel-gustavo-isaac>

*University of Barcelona (UB)*
Department of Philosophy
Carrer Montalegre 6-8
08001 Barcelona
SPAIN

LinkedIn: manuel-gustavo-isaac-238b7055
<https://ch.linkedin.com/in/manuel-gustavo-isaac-238b7055>
Academia.edu: ManuelGustavoIsaac
<https://barcelona.academia.edu/ManuelGustavoIsaac>
PhilPeople: manuel-gustavo-isaac
<https://philpeople.org/profiles/manuel-gustavo-isaac>
ORCID.org: 0000-0002-5479-5027 <http://orcid.org/0000-0002-5479-5027>
Twitter: @mgIS44C <https://twitter.com/mgIS44C>

-- Type: application/pdf
-- File: CFP-SINQ_FICE.pdf

--
Pour toute question, la FAQ de la liste se trouve ici:
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/

Répondre à