---------- Forwarded message ---------
De : Daniel Gregory <daniel.greg...@uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: lun. 8 févr. 2021 à 11:15
Subject: Online Conference - Dreaming and Memory
To: <philo...@liverpool.ac.uk>
Cc: Kourken Michaelian <michaelian.kour...@gmail.com>

Dear all,

As previously advertised, an online conference on the theme of *Dreaming
and Memory* will take place on *Monday 22 and Tuesday 23 February 2021*,
co-hosted by the Philosophy of Neuroscience research group at the
University of Tübingen and the Centre for Philosophy of Memory at
the University of Grenoble Alps.

The schedule, in Central European Time, is as follows:

*Monday 22 February*

8:50 – Introduction

9:00 – 10:15: *Manuela Kirberg* (Monash): Mechanisms of (dream)bizarreness:
unconstrained memory processes and spontaneous cognition

10:15 – 10:30: Break

10:30 – 11:45: *Kourken Michaelian* (Grenoble Alps): True, authentic,
faithful: Accuracy in memory for dreams

11:45 – 13:30: Lunch

13:30 – 14:45: *Matthew Soteriou* (Kings’): Temporal perspective in dream
and memory

14:45 – 15:00: Break

15:00 – 16:15: *Sven Bernecker* (Cologne & California, Irvine): Dreaming,
imagining, remembering

*Tuesday 23 February*

9:00 – 10:15: *John Sutton* (Macquarie): ‘Never did I discover a memory in
dreaming’: Halbwachs on mental work, social frameworks, and memory images

10:15 – 10:30: Break

10:30 – 11:45: *Daniel Gregory* (Tübingen): You cannot remember the past
during dreams but you can relive it

11:45 – 13:30: Lunch

13:30 – 14:45: *Markus Werning* (Ruhr University Bochum) & *Kristina
Liefke* (Ruhr
University Bochum): Remembering Dreams: Parasitic Reference in Memories of
Non-Veridical Experiences

14:45 – 15:00: Break

15:00 – 16:15: *Michael Barkasi* (York): The nonimmersive feeling of
pastness as the phenomenal manifestation of remembering

Attendance is free but we ask that you register:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSen_3sDyZTJX2ATOk0YdKhar_IMzTmEZGbPHT3dbroXqy0g-g/viewform?usp=pp_url

Zoom link:
https://univ-grenoble-alpes-fr.zoom.us/j/98036945093?pwd=ZUJwMzZZcmdnbmd6MjF5cHpLUWZSZz09
Meeting ID: 980 3694 5093
Passcode: 706468

Conference website: http://phil-mem.org/events/2021-dreaming.php

Abstracts for talks are provided below.

Best wishes,

Daniel Gregory
Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow
University of Tübingen

Kourken Michaelian
Director, Centre for Philosophy of Memory
University of Grenoble Alps

*Abstracts*

*Manuela Kirberg* (Monash): Mechanisms of (dream)bizarreness: unconstrained
memory processes and spontaneous cognition

I will explore the question how to capture the inconsistent, unlikely and
impossible features and combinations of dream phenomenology and their
neurocognitive origin on a conceptual and empirical level; a question that
remains vigorously debated among cognitive scientists and philosophers. I
propose that (dream)bizarreness can be understood as common feature
of spontaneous offline simulations occurring across the sleep-wake cycle.
Bizarreness seems therefore to emerge from mechanisms that underly
spontaneous cognition independent of the behavioural states of sleep and
wakefulness. The occurrence of different types of unusual dream elements
can be linked to the defining characteristics of spontaneous thought as
being dynamic, unconstrained, (hyper)associative and highly variable in
content. Additionally, dreaming can be understood as one kind of
constructive episodic simulation where phenomenal dream content arises from
a spontaneous and flexible recombination of episodic details of past
experiences resulting in novel simulations of past, future or imaginative
and sometimes even absurd scenarios. Unusual combinations can be linked to
memory mechanisms, resulting from a complex process that involves not only
the consolidation of memory but a transformation of past experiences in the
form of unconstrained, associative simulations. Therefore, dream
bizarreness can be conceptualised as an inevitable subsidiary effect that
emerges on the phenomenal level from underlying unconstrained memory and
associative thought processes.

*Kourken Michaelian* (Grenoble Alps): True, authentic, faithful: Accuracy
in memory for dreams

What is it to remember a dream accurately? This talk will argue that
neither of the two available conceptions of accuracy in memory, truth and
authenticity (Bernecker 2010), enables us to answer this question. A third
conception of accuracy is needed: a memory of a dream is accurate when it
is “faithful” to the dream. In addition to memory for dreaming, the talk
will apply the notion of faithfulness to memory for imagining,
hallucinating, and remembering.

*Matthew Soteriou* (Kings’): ‘Temporal perspective in dream and memory’

When we are awake, we occupy a temporal perspective, and while occupying
that temporal perspective we can simultaneously represent a distinct
temporal perspective that we don’t occupy. For example, when we
episodically recollect some past event, we occupy a temporal perspective
on that past event and simultaneously represent a distinct temporal
perspective on the event which we don’t then occupy. But how are our
capacities to occupy and represent temporal perspectives affected when we
dream? For example, are there dreams in which we merely represent, and fail
to occupy, a temporal perspective? In this talk I will be addressing these
questions and discussing their relevance to our understanding of
self-representation and the first-person perspective in memory and dreams.

*Sven Bernecker* (Cologne & California, Irvine): Dreaming, Imagining, and
Remembering

Descartes famously argued that the possibility that we are dreaming
undermines knowledge of the world around us. The paper challenges two
assumptions of the dream argument. According to the first assumption, the
dreamer cannot know that they are dreaming. According to the second
one, dreams involve false or unjustified beliefs. The paper goes on to
suggest a criterion for distinguishing dream experiences from remembered
waking experiences.

*John Sutton* (Macquarie): ‘Never did I discover a memory in dreaming’:
Halbwachs on mental work, social frameworks, and memory images

In The Social Frameworks of Memory (1925), the French sociologist Maurice
Halbwachs systematically contrasts dreaming and remembering. He argues that
memory is a complex socio-cognitive achievement involving ‘mental work’ on
the basis of norms and shared notions. If remembering was, as Bergson
thought, a purely subjective escape from society, it would be like dreaming
- fragmentary and unmoored. Integrating phenomenology and developmental
evidence, Halbwachs argues that there are no rich or coherent memories in
dreams. I assess the theoretical and historical significance of these ideas
in our era of situated cognitive theory, discussing links to contemporary
debates about mental time travel, childhood amnesia, relations between
dreams and imagination, and the role of social norms in memory.

*Daniel Gregory* (Tübingen): You cannot remember the past during dreams but
you can relive it

There are two leading theories on the nature of dreams: one is that dreams
are a kind of hallucination; the other is that dreams are a kind of
imagination. I will suggest that it is not possible to have memories during
dreams if dreams are hallucinations and that it is probably not possible
if dreams are a kind of imagination. I will allow that it is possible to
have a dream which corresponds very closely to a past experience and that
you might even recognize this upon waking and recalling the dream, but I
will claim that such dreams nonetheless do not count as memories.

*Markus Werning* (Ruhr University Bochum) & *Kristina Liefke* (Ruhr
University Bochum): Remembering Dreams: Parasitic Reference in Memories of
Non-Veridical Experiences

Episodic memories are widely assumed to be factive: To say that someone
remembers something presupposes that the ascribed mnemonic content is true
and that the descriptions used to express it have existing referents. In
this respect, the verb “remember” resembles the ordinary use of perceptual
verbs such as “see” and “hear”. The causal theory of memory (Martin &
Deutscher 1966, Bernecker 2010) promises to explain the reference of
memories in two steps: (i) In the original perception, a causal chain leads
to a categorical representation of the perceived object. (ii) The reference
relation thus obtained is passed from perception to the event of
remembering by a memory trace that extends the causal chain and transmits
categorical representational content. Theories that deny the need for a
content-preserving memory trace, such as simulationism (Michaelian 2016)
and trace minimalism (Werning 2020), prima facie fare worse in explaining
the reference relations of memories. However, this assessment changes when
memories of non-veridical experiences, such as dreams, are also considered.
Here, causal links to their (counterfactual) intentional objects
are typically absent. Nevertheless, anaphoric reference relations seem to
exist between the memory and the dream content. Correctness conditions
apply: It is possible to misremember what one dreamed. Following Blumberg
(2018), we develop a parasitic account for the reference relations of
mnemonic content: Memories are referentially fully dependent on the
original experiences, be they veridical or not. It suffices to single out
the event of experience through an appropriate causal link to the event of
remembering. A transfer of categorical representational content is not
necessary. The resulting view is in accordance with trace minimalism.

*Michael Barkasi* (York): The nonimmersive feeling of pastness as the
phenomenal manifestation of remembering

It’s one thing for an environmental interaction to leave an impression on
an organism which affects subsequent behavior or information processing
(memory trace). It’s quite another for the organism to remember that
interaction. Plausibly, remembering, as exemplified in human episodic
recall, requires the organism’s cognitive machinery to use a memory trace
as a stand-in for the past event. This criterion is functional: It
specifies remembering in terms of its functional role within a cognitive
system. How does this functional role relate to both phenomenology and
neurobiology? In this talk, I suggest that dreams provide an interesting
dissociation between memory traces and remembering, and thereby provide
insights into the phenomenology and neurobiology of remembering.
Specifically, I argue that both dreams and waking episodic recall involve
the reactivation of memory traces and are both accompanied by a feeling of
pastness. But dreams (or their neural substrates) are not used as stand-ins
for the past, and this functional difference shows up as a difference in
the feeling of pastness. Specifically, the feeling of pastness in waking
episodic recall is nonimmersive, while the feeling of pastness in dreams is
immersive. I thus propose that functional states of remembering always
manifest themselves phenomenally with a nonimmersive feeling of pastness.
Along the way I also discuss some of the neurobiology involved and what
this proposal means for the neural correlates of spatiotemporal awareness.

--
https://www.vidal-rosset.net/mailing_list_educasupphilo.html

Répondre à