Hello Shriheeran,

I think if academics say Wikipedia can't be used as a source, we should say
that's absolutely correct. The English Wikipedia has a policy
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verifiability#Wikipedia_and_sources_that_mirror_or_use_it>
which says that Wikipedia isn't considered a reliable source. Instead of
citing Wikipedia, people can use it as a starting point for research.

Wikipedia is very open about where its information comes from, and even
includes warning when articles might not be high quality. I can't think of
another website which would include a warning to readers that one of its
pages might contain a point of view, or might need more fact checking.

When you talk to academics about Wikipedia, is there anything in particular
you're asking them to do?

Regards,
Richard Nevell

On 16 February 2017 at 00:23, Wikimedia Among Scouts :Executive Director <
shrihee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just I had a meeting with an it acadamic professionalist, the things got
> from Wikipedia are not accepted as valid. Because they say that enyone can
> edit wikipedia. That's the reason.But I said to that references are given
> to each points there and temples such as citation needed are put in
> WIKIPEDIA. What do you think about this? I am from srilanka.
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 1:15 AM, Kleefeld, John <john.kleef...@usask.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Colleagues, here is my fifth blog post, the first of a two-part set.
>>

>> *WikiProjects, Article Importance, and Article Quality: An Intimate
>> Relationship (1/2)* http://bit.ly/2lH9hjJ
>>

>> And here are the links to the previous four, in reverse chronological
>> order:
>>

>> *Wikipedia’s Gender Bias – and What Your Students Can Do About It *
>> http://bit.ly/2kOkSMC
>>
>> *What Does It Mean to Say That “Anyone Can Edit” Wikipedia? *
>> http://bit.ly/2jqMV5y
>>
>> *How Students Are Learning Medicine and Collaborative Skills, And
>> Transforming Wikipedia *http://bit.ly/2jt5fH7
>>
>> *The Wikipedia Manifesto *http://bit.ly/2jGlAc1
>>

>> Yours truly,
>>

>> John Kleefeld
>>
>> Associate Professor, College of Law
>>
>> 2017 Teaching Fellow, Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness
>>
>> University of Saskatchewan
>>
>> 15 Campus Drive
>>
>> Saskatoon SK  S7N 5A6
>>

>> tel:          (+1) 306.966.1039 <(306)%20966-1039>
>>
>> email:    john.kleef...@usask.ca
>>
>> skype:    johnkleefeld
>>
>> twitter: @johnkleefeld
>>
>> web:       http://law.usask.ca/find-people/faculty/kleefeld-john.php