You just need to create a new course in studio and then import your .tar.gz
file through the tools menu.

See
http://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/edx-partner-course-staff/en/latest/releasing_course/export_import_course.html#import-a-course

<http://edx.readthedocs.io/projects/edx-partner-course-staff/en/latest/releasing_course/export_import_course.html#import-a-course>

There's also a django management command for importing courses. And if you
enable the sysadmin panel you can import courses from a git repository. Those
options aren't well documented but we use them regularly at MIT.

- Peter

Peter Pinch |  Associate Director of Engineering, Office of Digital Learning
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
One Main Street  |  Cambridge MA 02142
E pdpi...@mit.edu | T 617-253-6256 | C 617-652-0183