Hi Erik, I'm a newbie myself.

You can use the studio to create courses. If you run your own edx site,
there should be a studio you can use to create courses, I think it's
http://yoursite.com/edx-studio

If you create courses in the studio.edge.edx.org site, you can export the
course out as a gzip tarball. Then you just login to your local edx server
as the admini and import the course.

There's a lot of documentation to read through.

Best!
Adam