What type of installation are you using? Is it a full-stack or native
installation? I assume they should be both the same, but can you also get
access to the console? If so, you could try to give the user superuser
credentials via the command prompt:

Go to: */edx/app/edxapp/edx-platform*

from django.contrib.auth.models import User
me =
me.is_superuser = True
me.is_staff = True