Sure Doug, you may use theming for certain projects, but not for edX.org
and edge.edx.org.

Here are a few big issues with Comprehensive theming I came up with off the
top of my head (other Open edX people, Stanford affiliated or not, can
comment and add anything I may have missed):

- The Open edX community was not really consulted in a timely fashion on
comprehensive theming (basically we were shown the code shortly before it
merged and comments were ignored for expediency's sake).
- Comprehensive theming currently doesn't allow for graceful inheritance
from platform templates Stanford is still running our "Stanford Theming".
- Because we need to do things with the edX platform for which
comprehensive theming (from text changes, to injecting HTML, to complete
restructuring of templates) doesn't allow without replacing full files,
we've had to fork multiple parts of edx-platform. This means *every* time
we merge from edX, we have dozens (sometimes hundreds) of conflicts which
makes it *much* harder to track the release branch as closely as we would
like.
- Color/variable definitions in SASS (as they are used in the rest of the
SASS) ebb and flow without end, which makes most themers have to
continuously edit color/variable definitions in their files.
- There doesn't seem to be any reasonable effort to make the LMS responsive
without having to resort to the mobile app, which is unsustainable for
teams with only a handful of engineers.

If edX were running its own private repo theme on edX.org and "dog-fooding"
the theming solution, it not only would bring these open source issues to
fore, but would also allow you guys at edX to protect your trademarks,
language, and colors.

*Giulio Gratta* <http://www.giuliogratta.com>
B.S. Engineering (Product Design)
Stanford University, Class of 2010