I think the built-in bulk email feature is a bit limited in how you can
segment the learners who receive which emails.
What we use with our customers is the Segment integration  which edX also uses.
Using the Open edX event tracking library, you can send events via Segment in
real-time to 3rd party marketing automation tools like Marketo,Mailchimp and
lots of other email delivery tools. And then you can use those tools to trigger
email nurturing campaigns to send emails to all learners who've:
- registered but not enrolled- enrolled but not begun the coursework- begun the
course work but haven't returned for a week- completed the course
Completion is also difficult to measure because different people have different
definitions of completion. Is completion...?
- the learner earned a certificate- the learner got a passing grade- the learner
attempted all the assignments (regardless of how they scored)- the learner
watched all the videos and read all the text

I know that edX also uses Sailthru  as their automated email delivery tool
together with the edX Automated Communication Engine (ACE).  It appears to be
not so hard to make additional email channels besides Sailthru.Good luck!
Nate