While the original intent was to use WDAT to program the external
watchdog found in the SIMATIC IPC BX-59A, it turned out to be
impossible because it would require holding precious shared I/O
registers. See [1]

As the WDAT abstraction cannot be used, a specific driver needs
to be introduced. The w83627hf code from the Linux kernel was
greatly reused to support the NCT6116 chip.

As for the IPC 4x7E, we need to detect that we are running on
a BX-59A (we are really wanting other platforms to either use
iTCO or WDAT). The code to extract the station ID from DMI
tables is moved to its own compile unit (simatic.c) so it may
be shared between the ipc4x7e_wdt and w83627hf_wdt drivers.

Changes between v1 and v2:
 - rename ipcbx59a_wdt.c to w83627hf_wdt.c as suggested by Jan Kiszka

[1]
https://lore.kernel.org/all/df8d53db-0056-434d-953b-991025e6c...@roeck-us.net/

Cedric Hombourger (2):
  simatic: prepare to share code for identifying SIMATIC IPCs
  drivers/watchdog: add support for w83627hf watchdog

 Makefile.am                     |   2 +
 README.md                       |   1 +
 drivers/watchdog/ipc4x7e_wdt.c  |  54 +-------
 drivers/watchdog/w83627hf_wdt.c | 226 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 include/simatic.h               |  37 ++++++
 simatic.c                       |  63 +++++++++
 create mode 100644 drivers/watchdog/w83627hf_wdt.c
 create mode 100644 include/simatic.h
 create mode 100644 simatic.c

--
2.39.2