On 15.01.24 15:50, Earl Chew wrote:
> Jan,
>
>> Are you trying to catch the messages from a screen, or are they
>> overwritten on a UART by the succeeding EFI app?
>
> Yes, in my case, cleared/overwritten by the next EFI app.

EFI provider is U-Boot or a PC firmware? The former has now
CONFIG_EFI_SCROLL_ON_CLEAR_SCREEN to prevent that overwriting.

>> The problem is that BG_ENVDATA is fully packed and has no extension
>> space (yeah...).
>
> Another direction could be to make this a configuration time option,
> but that would get in the way of being able to turn on this behaviour
> in a deployed system.
>
> Hmm ... what do you think about leveraging the user variable space
> by reserving some namespace (eg names starting with "ebg_") ?
>
> https://github.com/siemens/efibootguard/blob/master/docs/API.md#example-on-user-variable-usage
>
> For example:
>
>     ebg_env_set(&e, "ebg_start_delay_ms", "3000");

Yes, that would solve the missing-space issue. But this would force to
bootloader to start parsing that region, something we avoided so far
(and something that likely helped confining our CVE to the library
bits). No free lunch...

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Technology