Thanks Johnny, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I just your post
after recently discovering something very similar.

I made a few changes to the virtual network settings that should not have
mattered and then reapplied the IPs -- I removed all aliases and then began
adding them back on one by one and now all is well.

I am guessing this is the unanswered question of why some have experienced
this issue and some have not.

I am guessing due to the elusive nature of this issue it has remained
unresolved for an unknown length of time in the Endian codebase.

This should be added as a bug in the Endian bugtracker - anyone have a login
to bugs.endian.com and would like to take this on?