From: louth,william [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 3:12 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dynamic finder method with CMP

"We found that performance would be heavily impacted by using a CMP entity
bean (since you'd have one database hit for the initial find, and then 1 hit
for each entity bean that is created).  " -tb

<vendor>
 This does not have to be the case. The Inprise Application Server CMP
engine allows you set a flag 'load state' for finder method calls, to load
the state for the entity beans in the find sql. This reduces the numbers of
SQL calls to one.

So instead of having :
    select pk from sometable where something is true
    select fld1, fld2,.. from sometable where pk = ?
we have
    select pk, fld1, fld2,...from sometable where something is true

Regarding use of session beans I am STILL uneasy spreading knowledge of the
persistence level across entity beans and session beans especially when it
over laps. There could be a case for aggregates. On limited views, well I
try to use the CMP engine unless the performance overhead is great. Its all
about tradeoffs, but we should start from the right side before moving to
the dark side.

</vendor>

-William