Hi Julien,
Thanks for getting back into this.
In SIP, I see two basic ways of having Chat sessions :
- Using the SIP MESSAGE request. It works like an SMS. You do not have
a notion of "conversation", you just send a simple text message
somewhere. That is what Ekiga supports until now.
- Using the MSRP protocol. It works like a "Text Call". You have a
notion of "conversation" between two peers and notifications indicating
that the remote is typing.
However, MSRP brings more features than simple text chat :
- File Transfer over MSRP
- Screen Sharing over MSRP
You also have extensions :
- Multi-participants chat rooms
- Conference information through the "conference-info" Event package
I think we should keep this in mind, but limit ourselves to 1-to-1
conversations for now.

Damien SANDRAS

Ekiga Project
http://www.ekiga.org