On 24/02/2016, Bret Busby <bret.bu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> Debian 8, Ekiga 4.0.1, et webcam Logitech C930e.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> JL
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> This is not an answer to your question, but, rather, a question of
>> your question.
>>
>> I have a Logitech webcam thing that shows as having 720p (1280x720?)
>> capability, but, with the computer or the broadband limitations, or
>> both, I find that I have to use it at a lesser resolution (640x480, I
>> think, or, less), to get some sort of fluidity and realtime movement,
>> otherwise, I get lagging and a series of still frames and jerkiness,
>> rather than fluid motion.
>>
>> From what I understand, (and, I am quite probably wrong), the higher
>> resolutions are not good, for applications like Ekiga and Skype.
>>
>> I have just used cheese to record a video, with my Logitech webcam,
>> and vlc showed the resolution to be 1280x960, and the motion was jerky
>> and not fluid.
>>
>> I do not know what hardware, you have, or, what your data transmission
>> rates are like, but this computer that I am using, has an i3 CPU, and,
>> I think, an nVIDIA graphics thing with about 512MB of RAM (on the
>> graphics thing - the computer has, I think, 16GB of RAM), and I have
>> found that webcam resolution of more than 640x480, is too much for
>> getting useful video.
>>
>> So, I am wondering whether it is worth you trying to get the high
>> resolution of your webcam capability (1920x1080), for video, if the
>> video processing, would not give you fluid motion for that resolution.
>>
>> You may have hardware, and, data transmission rates, that can
>> accommodate the high resolution capability of your webcam, and give
>> you a sufficient fps, to attain adequate fluidity of motion - I do not
>> know.
>>
>> At this stage, I have not yet, been able to effect a successful video
>> call with Ekiga - I have only been able to effect successful video
>> calls, with skype.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Bret Busby
>> Armadale
>> West Australia

>> "So once you do know what the question actually is,
>>  you'll know what the answer means."
>> - Deep Thought,
>>  Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
>>  "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
>>  A Trilogy In Four Parts",
>>  written by Douglas Adams,
>>  published by Pan Books, 1992

> I just checked, with changing the configuration of cheese, to get a
> 640x480 videoclip, and, while the voice/video sync, was not quite
> right, the motion was sufficiently fluid, and I could not get that,
> with the 1280x960 resolution.
>
> Also, in using the 1280x720 resolution, I found that the video and the
> voice/video sync, seemed to work okay.
>
> I do not know - maybe, your computer and your bandwidth, may be able
> to work well enough, with your 1920x1080 resolution, in video.

Also, I note that what you want, is apparently beyond the capability of Ekiga.

In checking in my Ekiga on this computer (Ekiga v 4.0.1), the highest
available video resolution, is 704x576.

In checking the specifications for Ekiga, at
http://ekiga.org/ekiga-softphone-features
is

"
Video  Version 4.0
 High Framerate support (up to 30 fps)
 Configurable Resolution, up to DVD quality (from 176x144 to 704x576)
"

so, the 704x576 resolution, is, apparently, the highest resolution,
currently available for Ekiga.

I think that skype might be able to give the resolution that you seek
- I do not know. I have skype 4.3 on this computer, and I can not find
how to adjust the video resolution from the webcam. From memory, I had
been able to do that, when skype 2.2 beta for Linux, was available,
years ago, but I can not find how to do it, now.

--

Bret Busby
Armadale