I asked my net manager about the QSP so I wouldn't blow it.......

--
Chuck  AA8VS

"Politics and crime,
they are the same thing."
 - Vito Carlone "Godfather III"

Hi Chuck:

Assuming one is already QNI (checked-in), and hears a station attempting to get the attention of NCS, the proper procedure is as follows:

Send one's call sign suffix to get the attention of NCS.
Send QNB or QSP, depending on net demeanor, followed by the call sign of the station attempting to QNI. In the case of a traffic net, of course, one may add a "QRU" or QTC and the station's traffic list.

Example:

K8SIW is already checked-in. K8QMN is NCS, and W8ABC is attempting to be heard.

NCS:  QRP Net K
SIW:   SIW
NCS:   SIW
SIW:   QNB (QSP) W8ABC QRU K
NCS:  R W8ABC AS (Standby)

A good NCS should also ask a competent net member to occasionally make a net call. This is particularly important on wide-coverage nets, which may serve multiple states and the like.

For example, let's say K8QMN is NCS and he knows it is likely he cannot hear some stations. He knows AA8VS is a competent CW operator, so he asks him to make a net call. For example:

NCS:  VS (sends suffix of AA8VS)
AA8VS: "dit" of "hr" or "K" (acknowledges he is paying attention and ready for an instruction). NCS: net call please AR (uses the dual meaning of the prosign, which is "out" thereby surrendering the frequency to AA8VS) AA8VS: QRP Net de AA8VS K (AA8VS makes two to three attempts, depending on conditions).
AA8VS:  N K (no stations heard, over - returns frequency to NCS).

Or

AA8VS:  R W8ABC QRU  AS, etc. as stations QNI.  .

Note: AA8VS should not have to send a list to the primary NCS after he obtains check-ins, as the primary NCS should not appoint an alternate for net call whom he can not hear. The primary NCS can certainly ask for clarification if necessary.

That about covers it! For more details on CW net procedures, feel free to refer operators to the NREN web page segment on CW net procedures:

www.aa8vs.org/nren/docs/rnetproc.pdf

While the above document primarily outlines procedures for CW traffic nets, it may still be instructive.

73,

Jim