On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:45:21 +0800, js wrote:

> First of all, I am both an ICOM and K2(s) user.  Before we make any
> comparison between IC7800 and K2, I am looking forward to learning
> from a ham who really operates these two rigs.  As we are all
> aware, sometimes number itself is not necessarily representing the
> whole picture.

I find the whole discussion just a tad bit amusing. It began with the
Orion users who sure were proud that TenTec came up with a 'better'
receiver than the K2. Now it seems that the Icom faithful are anxious to
compare their offering to the K2. Yaesu will be next.

Elecraft can't buy better promotion than this at any price.

Think about it, when fully filtered to 'better' the K2 performance a
user would have to spend $4400 for an Orion. That is SEVEN times the
cost of a K2. The new Icom is a mere EIGHTEEN times more costly. The new
Yaesu will no doubt have a similar price tag.

What kind of bragging rights is it to say that for $11,000 our receiver
is better than that of a $599 kit?

It borders on the ridiculous to even make such comparisons unless of
course you concede that the K2 has become the benchmark for amateur
receiver performance--and that may very well be the case since all the
"big boys" are anxious to compare their performance numbers against it.

We should also consider that the K2 has apparently raised the bar for
amateur receiver performance across the entire industry. The performance
numbers that really distinguished the K2 were infrequently considered in
the pre-K2 days. Now most all receiver reviews include them and
manufacturers are focusing on improving them. That means that even
non-Elecraft customers are benefiting from the 'K2 Revolution'.

I just imagine that every time someone compares a $4400 Orion or an
$11,000 Icom to the K2 that the staff in Aptos break out in high
fives...

:-)

--
73 de Jeff, KE9V