I had only a few hours to participate this year, so I put the KX1 and accessories into a day-pack and walked to a nearby park. Conditions seemed to be good, and I made some 60 contacts on 20 and 40 CW (running 1.5 W, using internal batteries). I listened from home on Saturday night and found 80 meters really busy -- nice to hear this band so active. On Sunday I took the K2 as well as the KX1, and made some SSB and 15 m CW Qs.

My big takeaway from the weekend is that a longer, partly-horizontal random wire is more effective than 25' of wire straight up, at least for 40 m daytime operation. With the vertical wire, I missed some contacts. On Sunday I put up 50' of wire, of which over half was horizontal, and had much better luck on 40.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---