-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rob K6RB
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 8:08 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] Z1 encoder

Just got my first K2 - actually a K2/100 - and it has a problem. The tuning
knob does not change frequency or select menu items unless I push it really
hard toward the front panel. In other words, it feels like the shaft is not
turning anything unless it is pushed hard against the back of the encoder.
Has anyone had this problem? Clearly, replacing Z1 should correct it but I'm
wondering if I get inside it whether there's a screw behind the Z1 housing
that has become loose or something. Haven't opened it up yet but managed to
muscle it onto 14.025 and had a nice long QSO. Everything else seems to be
working just fine. Lastly, having not built it originally, I'm reverse
engineering how to remove the front panel to get at Z1. It looks like I
should first open the top of the case, remove the screws that secure the
control board to the front-panel board, then remove the four front panel
screws and slip it off of the mating connector to the RF board. Is that
correct? Thanks in advance.

73,

Rob K6RB