Doug,

I would not say that there is any 'magic' length for the feedline.  Try what
you can do and see what works.  If it ends up that the tuner has difficulty
matching the shack end on one or two bands, add some extra feedline and try
again.

Depending on the matching range of your tuner, you may encounter difficulty
tuning the combination if the feedline length plus half the flattop length
come close to a half wavelength or multiple (those lengths result as a high
impedance feedpoint).

There are several programs that will tell you what the shack feedpoint
impedance will be, and I recall that LB Cebik has the antenna feedpoint
impedance for the 44 ft. doublet listed on his website www.cebik.com - look
for an article titled something like - If I Could Only Have One Antenna.

73,
Don W3FPR