From: "Parker Buckley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 6:10 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] Re: More antenna problems

I've read several responses indicating that verticals are more noise-prone
than dipoles, cf zepps, etc.    I live on an average city lot with power
lines at the back, and my experience has been a little different.  I've used
a Butternut HF-2V with 16 radials for many years.  I've also experimented
with a variety of wire antennas, including center fed zepps, dipoles,
vertical dipoles fed with ladder line, verticals with elevated radials,
verticals with loaded elevated radials (as in Moxon), and consistently the
ground mounted vertical monopole is quieter (and provides at least the same
signal strength).    I've also tried a simple monopole for 30 meters (made
from HF-2V parts) mounted on the same ground system, and found it to be
quieter than any of the wire antennas on 30, either vertical or horizontal.
I believe the ground system is key to the whole thing.....the ground mounted
vertical is simply quieter than elevated ones.  If you can install a decent
set of radials (quite easy to do: mow the grass, stake the wires out, and
let Mother Nature hide them for you; at least it works in Ohio), I think a
vertical is worth considering.  I've done extensive EZNEC modelling of all
these antennas, and while interesting and fun, the noise issue is hard to
predict and can be one of the more important considerations.

Parker WD8JOL K2 #2636