George / W5YR" wrote:

> The + output terminal of the VS-35M Astron supply goes to the anode of a
> high-current diode

Hi George,

I assume that the Astron output voltage is about 13.8 vdc.  Assuming a 0.7 vdc
voltage drop across the diode, your deep discharge battery sees about 13.1 vdc.

Is that enough to maintain long term battery charge, or enough to fully
re-charge the battery following a long period of operation on the battery?

I also use a deep discharge battery for backup power.  I charge it with a
regular battery charger that can raise the voltage high enough during charge to
reach TVG (total voltage for gassing).  End-of-charge voltage with the charger
still on tends to run above 16 vdc.  On USN submarines, we would charge our
main batteries until we got individual cell voltages in the range of 2.7 to 2.8
volts per cell.  Deep discharge batteries also like periodic full discharges
followed by a vigourous equalizing charge.  Most commonly available automobile
parts store chargers are not really designed to deliver a proper equalizing
charge.

On camping trips at a fixed site, a deep discharge battery is my primary power
source (radios, lights) for days at a time, even when I'm QRO with my TS-50S.
Every ham should consider keeping a 85 Amp-Hr (or greater) deep discharge
battery around for power outages.  It beats powering up a gasoline-fueled
generator.

73,
Mike / KK5F