Wayne wrote:
...it can require
a lot of practice, patience, steady nerves, unimpaired vision, and
specialized tools.
---

Good points, especially when it comes to identifying parts. My experience
has been mostly in fixing something. I replace one or two SMDs and I'm done.
But reading the identifying marks on some of them darn near requires a
microscope!

Building a whole rig from a box (or thimblefull) of 100 or 200 such devices
might be a bit more of a challenge...

Also, I cringe when I find a dense board mixed with through-hole stuff. The
big parts almost always make it really tough and time-consuming to work with
SMDs using simple, non-specialized tools.

Ron AC7AC