I must be doing something wrong. Worked the TX9 on 15 with my
K1 and a GAP Vertical. RIT & XIT and 5 watts. ... Us West Coast cheaters!
He was S9+10 so my 5W shuda bean about S7-9...Good going from MI. ..
Can't agree on software...
73, Art  W6KY    K1-4   K1-2

John Huffman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I worked TX9. After getting up at 4 am since last Thursday and devoting a long
weekend, I had no luck. On Tuesday evening at 7 pm I finally got him on 17 CW.
I could not have worked him without N4PY software.

My K2/100 is an excellent radio and my 80 meter dipole usually does the job,
but
they were no match for the combination of loud pileups and weak DX signals.
This is because the K2 does not allow different filters for VFO A and VFO B.

Using N4PY software I could really narrow the filter to listen for TX9's weak
signal on VFO A and, at the same time, use a wide filter on VFO B to find where
in the band he was listening.

I tried for days to be just a bit up or down from the station he last worked.
The wide filter on VFO B made that easy, but still no luck. It sounded like
everyone else in the pileup was doing the same thing.

Finally I hit on the right combination. Use a narrow filter on VFO A to be sure
I could hear him clearly. Use a wide filter on VFO B to listen to the pileup.
Then, as soon as he finishes with one QSO, click the A/B button on the N4PY
software so you are listening to the pileup. Quickly search for a quiet hole in
the mob, tune VFO B there, click A/B again, and start sending your call.

You have to be fast. As soon as he finishes with someone, it takes less than a
second or two to go to VFO B, find a hole, go to VFO A, and start calling.
Without the N4PY software it couldn't be done. The hole moves as the pileup
shifts around. To be effective you need to do this after each of his QSOs.

I suppose those with dual receivers can do that easily. But, with most of that
functionality provided by the software I can be competitive with the big boys
with my K2.

I have no financial or other interest in the N4PY software other than being a
satisfied user.

73 de NA8M
John