I have used a USB-Com adapter for keying CW on the K2 using N3FJP contest software. Keying is generally smooth, but occasionally some dits and dahs get stretched a little bit due to busy windows tasks in the laptop.

K1EL's WinKey CW Keying Kit offers a good solution for using the USB port for CW keying. However, K1EL requires that the logging/contest software send strings of ASCII characters through the Com Port (which K1EL translates into CW) rather than the software itself manipulate RTS/DTR to make CW. Several logging programs already support the WinKey CW Keying interface.

K1EL needs to put the transistor keying circuits right on his PCB and thereby eliminate altogether the requirement for a Com adapter.

I have the WinKey CW Keying Kit or order and will be reporting on its effectiveness.

BTW, what is K2's KY facility?

73, Joe, aa4nn

Can someone comment on the effects of timing latencies for CW signals going through the USB system software and the serial adapter? I would think that the delays might be a bit much, and possibly make the CW a bit uneven. Something like the K1EL PIC circuit would probably be better. Even better would be for software folks to support the K2's KY facility...

Does anyone else realize that we have two USB threads going at present, one where USB means Universal Serial Bus, the other for Upper Sideband? It can get confusing...

- Jack Brindle, WA4FIB