Hello Allen,

>My guess is that magnetic fields from power transformers are either 1) being
>picked up by L30, or 2) that the magnetic fields are going through the cores
>of L30 and/or T5, and modulating the effective permeabilities of these
>cores. This will cause a modulation of inductance, and thus a modulation of
>the VFO frequency.

The magnetic field is picked up by L30.

>To work best, the magnetic shield should completely surround the susceptible
>parts.

Putting the shield on only one side seems to make things worse.

>Here's a possibility for experimenting with K2 susceptibility: Try using one
>of those bulk tape erasers near it. They put out huge 60Hz fields. [Just
>don't get it near your credit/bank cards!]

Of course, keep it away from the latching relays.

I used a tape head demagnetizer.  Placing the probe near the base of L30 causes
a vast huge amount of FM.  Don't try this unless you cut the current way down.

Looking on the scope, FM modulation is at 60 Hz, not 120 Hz, so we're not
modulating
the permeability, we seem to be inducing a 60 Hz voltage onto L30/T5 which is
modulating the varacters.

What I don't understand is this:  I figure L30 has perhaps 14 turns, and 2.3
ohms
winding resistance.  I figure that the effective aperture is 1 cm squared.  I
figure
that the winding resistance of T5 is 0.05 ohms, so a 1 gauss vertical 60 Hz
field will
induce 37 micro volts on T5.  That should cause 0.3 Hz FM modulation on 80
meters.
No one should notice that?  BTW, I calculated 2.3 ohms from the Q, sensitivity
at
T5 goes way up if L30 has less resistance.

I know that the cup and core used in L30 will focus any external field through
the
winding, but I don't know how to calculate how much.

It would be nice if someone could put an L30 (TOKO T1005Z 4.7 uH) into a
Helholtz
coil and get the numbers on it (uV/gauss at 60Hz, winding resistance).

73, Michael