From: John Magliacane [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, November 12, 2004 10:22 AM
To: Dan Barker; Elecraft
Subject: Re: FW: [Elecraft] How to set up SSB

Hi Dan.

> Another idea.
>
> Why not some sort of RF-probe circuit? It would look just like the RF
probe
> in the book, but with different component values to get the time constant
> down. The RF probe in the book gives about a 100 Hz bandwidth which isn't
> enough (I'd want at least 5K for SSB audio testing).

This will only work for AM signals (full carrier, and at least one
sideband),
not suppressed carrier SSB.  My guess is that even if you were to throw your
balanced modulator WAY out of balance, it still would provide poor and
confusing results due to the carrier attenuation provided by the crystal
(sideband) filter.

A simple, low gain, direct conversion receiver (oscillator, mixer, audio
amplifier) will provide the necessary carrier injection (BFO) for proper
audio demodulation.

73, de John, KD2BD

=====
Visit John on the Web at: